CANCELED! Who deserves to get canceled? Is there any coming back once you’ve been canceled? Why hasn’t “X” person been cancelled yet? Join Westley, Maddie, and Lina D this week and join the cancel culture convo.
So what is cancel culture?
If you didn’t know- cancel culture refers to the phenomenon of “canceling” a person, an event, or a body of work i.e. songs, albums, movies, TV shows as a result of the person’s questionable or unpopular comments or actions.
These are some of the important questions Westley, Maddie, and Lina D talk about in the episode:
- How do we decide who gets canceled?
- Is there room for forgiveness?
- When someone is canceled, do we erase all that an artist has done including the good? i.e. the positive image of African Americans that The Cosby Show presented?
- And we debate some of the points made in this article: We Wouldn’t Need Cancel Culture if we Had Justice Culture
- If there was some assurance that real justice was possible, would cancel culture even feel necessary?
- Could we better separate the art and the artist if we could use a set of prison bars to do it?
And finally here is the article with all the details on Culture Vulture Yesjulz: Daniel Caesar Fans Are Calling Him Canceled